Pages

Saturday, June 5, 2021

Focke-Wulf Fw 190 D-9 | 1/12 th Scale | Part 25 – Armor plates

Dry fitting of parts is actually quite okay....
I made a jig for mounting the seat rails
from MDF and a styrene strip
that slides into the C-profile:
I cut paper templates of the armor plates
to get the diminsions right ...
I then cut the plates from 0.5 mm alu sheet,
the alu is quite soft which makes it
tricky to cut and drill. Parts need to be
polished and cleaned.

Saturday, April 17, 2021

Focke-Wulf Fw 190 D-9 | 1/12 th Scale | Part 24 – Shoulder protection

 

Dryfitting of the shoulder armor assembly.

Seat rails are placed right in front of the
shoulder armor.

4 holes for the harness attachments drilled.
Screw detail etc . still mising.

Monday, February 22, 2021

Junkers D.1 | Wingnut Wings 1/32nd scale | Part 8

Corroded and oxidized exhaust stack.
Wooden propeller made from scratch.
Added oil and fuel streaks.
Added some dirt sprinkles :-)

Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Luftwaffe History: Visiting the widow of Lt. Manfred Dieterle

I visited the widow of Manfred Dieterle, a former pilot of 3./ JG300 piloting Bf-109G-6/R6 yellow "1", in a Seniorenheim near Stuttgart in 2004 for a short visit.

She showed me some items originating of Manfred´s Luftwaffe carrier. The two most interesting items were his Flugbuch (flight log) and a contemporary wooden scale model of „his“ Gustav of approx. 1/50 scale. This model was obviously finished in the wartime Luftwaffe lacquers as they were used on his real Gustav.

Description of the wooden Bf-109 model

Spinner: semi gloss black (probably RLM 7160.22) with pale yellow (probably is RLM 27) spiral.

Upper surfaces: close to RAL 7031 Blue grey (RAL-K5 color swatch). Finish shows a slight sheen typical to nitro-cellulose lacquers. The blue grey color does not fit a standard RLM color and was probably a mix of available colors at the unit level, probably based on lacquers RLM 7121 or 7122.

Lower surfaces: semi-gloss black, probably RLM 7160.22 with a less dull finish than the blue grey color.

Rumpfband (fuselage band): close to RAL 3005 Wine red (RAL-K5 color swatch) but different to RLM 28(!).

Tactical markings: pale yellow “1” with white outline. The pale yellow shade is probably RLM 27.

National insignias: white outline only Balkenkreuze on fuselage and upper wings. No swastika, probably it was too delicate to be applied by brush (?).

Wooden wartime model of Gelbe "1" flown by Staffelkapitän Lt. Manfred Dieterle with a blue grey camouflage scheme suitable for nightfighters. The lower surfaces and the the wing root area are semi-gloss black with no national insignia – Balkenkreuze. The upper surfaces are a non-RLM blue grey color. The spinner is semi-gloss black with a pale yellow spiral and the Rumpfband is wine red.

The Messerschmitt Bf-109G/AS

Frau Dieterle also showed Manfred´s Flugbuch and one entry was of particular interest for me: this entry was of a a sortie flown in a Bf-109G/AS with a remark reading as follows: “Geht ab wie eine Rakete!” which translates to “goes like a rocket!”. High altidude performans of the AS version must have been noticeably better than of the stand Gustav powered by the DB605A.

Saturday, June 8, 2019

Junkers D.1 | Wingnut Wings 1/32nd scale | Part 7

Added the exhaust pipe finished with pigments
and washes.


Airbrushed some dirt, streaks and fumes with
Tamiya´s redbrown and flat black.

Exhaust fumes were also airbrushed with thinned
acrylics from Tamiya.

More weathering done by airbrush.

Thursday, May 30, 2019

Junkers D.1 | Wingnut Wings 1/32nd scale | Part 6

Weathered engine cowling. Exhaust is still missing.

Left engine cowling. Some final toughes missing!

Left upper wing with airbrushed Balkenkreuz.

Weatherd underside.

Weathering almost done ...

Pale blue undercoat with thin white top coat.

White tail plane still needs some weathering!

Thursday, March 14, 2019

Köf 3 | Gauge 0 Diesel locomotive

Hi,

a friend of mine asked me to weather a Köf3 diesel locomotive which was damaged during a workshop fire. I tried to clean the model as good as possible and then started weathering it using washes and stains. Here you go:









Monday, February 4, 2019

Junkers D.1 | Wingnut Wings 1/32nd scale | Part 5

Proof of concept: I sprayed the complete model
with a mix of thinners and hairspray adjusted to work
with the lacquers used on the model.

Dark areas are still wet of rinsing the model
under the shower. This gives an idea of the original shades.
This is the first time use on a model after a
few years of empiric research – and failures!
Erhh.. happy little accidents! (Love you, Bob Ross!)

The dried model shows the bleached finish to advantage.
Now the mechanical part of the physicochemical weathering
can begin :-)

Sunday, February 3, 2019

Junkers D.1 | Wingnut Wings 1/32nd scale | Part 4

Working on the wheels. Added mud and dirt
made of pigments and fixer.

Test of my new weathering technique: Base colors are a mix of browns
from Zero Paint RAL 8017 and Tamiya XF-64. In the picture this color is the dark shade. Then a coat of hairspray was applied for 30 sec. Rinse with water. Chemical reaction leads the light shade seen above. This can be mechanically removed with wooden chisels, stiff brushes etc.

Dry fitting of subassemblies. All markings are airbrushed.

Camouflage was sprayed using card board templates
to achieve a ragged color seperation.