Tuesday, November 24, 2015

BISMARCK | Cooling water inlets – 1/100th scale | Part 2

The following pictures show my personal reconstruction of the cooling water inlets and how they could have worked. Beware: Eare human est.

Reconstructed and schematic flow pattern for
forward speed. Blue = cold, red = warm.

Flow pattern stern first.

Flow pattern bow first.

Bilge keel and inlets.

Reconstructed and schematic flow of cold water (blue)
and warm water (red). When traveling stern first cold water
flows thru the rear small inlets into the sea chest.

Guide plate (center) seperating the large and small inlet.

Small inlet for reverse speed and large inlet for forward speed.

Sunday, November 22, 2015

BISMARCK | Cooling water inlets – 1/100th scale | Part 1

My long term project is a static replica of the German battleship BISMARCK. This time I will focus on the cooling water inlets for the turbines.

Reconstruction of the sea chest:
Y-shaped inlets for forward and reverse speed.

Cut-out in the hull for installing the sea chest.

4mm-balsa plating and glass fibre coating.

Dry fitting of the inlet made from styrene.

Test fitting.

Adjusting the fit was done with files.

Testing the inlet: it actually works very well!

I painted the hull flat black because it is
visible from outside.

Thursday, August 27, 2015

J2M3 Raiden – Zoukei-mura 1/32 | Part Two

The lower belly part fits perfectly to the rear fuselage assembly.
No putty needed.

I started embossing rivets using a stone beading tool.
Also added missing panel lines using the
Bunrindo #61 book as a reference.

Dry fitting of the horizontal stabilators.
I also added a panel line along the spine of the rear fuselage.

Sunday, July 19, 2015

Paraceratherium »Paul« 1/15th scale | Part Three

The base consists of a wooden plate made of walnut wood. The ground work is done using floral foam. I used the model to create the tracks and then covered the surface with plaster. After a light sanding I added pigments and debris into a fresh layer of white glue. After this has dried over night I added a lighter layer of fine pigments with water and white glue to create the water channels.

Top view of the base showing a meander belt of a
large river with water channels and the
tracks of two Paraceatheriums.

Detail: Alluvial debris like tree trunks and roots.

Overview of the base. It measures 500 x 300 mm.
It has to fit through the doors of my vitrine.

Some more details ...

Saturday, July 11, 2015

Tyrannosaurus rex #2 | Part One

I am painting a Tyrannosaurus rex (Krentz, 1/40th scale) for a friend and for fun! :-)
Base color is beige, applied in a countershading scheme.

Added a orange signal color.

Will probably use black and dark blue grey for the main body ...

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Paraceratherium »Paul« 1/15th scale | Part Two

More work on the underpainting using oil paints.

Added further highlights.

Added a first layer of pigment disorders.

Highlights on the head and neck area. Next step will be more
shadows, pigment disorders and skin details.

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Paraceratherium »Paul« 1/15th scale | Part One

Parallel to the Raiden I started a new project – Paraceratherium, also called »Paul«. Paraceratherium was a hornless rhinoceros and probably the largest terrestrial mammal that has ever existed. It weight some 20 tons! For more info on the animal check out – for example – wikipedia.

The animal was sculpted by Shane Foulkes and it is beautiful! It is a limited kit of 25 sets, each containing ten parts. I bought my copy at Urzeitshop. Service and delivery was great and fast.

Joints were eleminated using magic sculpt. Parts were glued using two-part-epoxy (5 min.).

I will take some inspirations for the painting the skin from studying the appearance of rhinos, elephants and hippos.

After a base coat of Mr.RESIN primer Paul received
a coat of Humbrol #61 for the under painting.

Beautifully sculpted head.
First highlights using artist´s oil paints:
yellow ocre, crimson, and white.

I added a second shadow using flesh tones and brick red.

A further drybrushing for the second highlights.

Monday, June 8, 2015

J2M3 Raiden – Zoukei-mura 1/32 | Part One

Instrument panel using the clear part and decals
as supplied in the kit.

Test fitting of the pilot in the cockpit.

Cockpit and main fuel tank.

Fire wall seperating the engine compartment from the
fuel tank compartment.

Cockpit and rear deck with the radio set and roll bar.

Weathering test.

All subassemblies have a great fit.

Propeller assembly.

Several weathering test.

Thursday, April 30, 2015

GIEBICHENSTEIN | Lichens and fungal mycelia | Part Four

Lichens were added by painting dots of green-yellow
paint in some areas.

On some photographs a white milky layer can be seen
on the »Giebichenstein«

These are probably fungal mycelia.

After conducting a few tests I went for the following technique:
I painted the desired areas with Future acrylic floor finish.
Then I rinsed the model with tab water which results in the
milky white »mycelia«.

Tuesday, April 28, 2015

GIEBICHENSTEIN | Iterum | Part Three

Repainting the »Giebichenstein«

Base color is again Humbrol #61. The matrix was done by
sponge using grey, black and light-flesh shades. The
idiomorphic alcali feldspar crystals were done using a stencil.

250.000 years of weathering offers some occasions
for a modeler. Dirt and stains were done by sponge, too.
I wetted the surface with acrylic thinner and applied
very light layers of Tamiya redbrown, black and grey.

Depending on the season algae and moss spreads over
the hump of the »Giebichenstein«. Again, I used sponges
and Tamiya green shades applied in very light layers.